By: ICHA Community Nurse Coordinator, Namarig Ahmed
Often, our feet receive the least care and attention. It is highly recommended to wash and dry our feet every day. But what happens when someone neglects their feet? Below are signs and symptoms that would warrant a visit to your family doctor and if possible, to a foot care specialist.
- Ingrown toenails or thickened toenails
- Fungal nail or skin changes
- Dry or cracked skin
- Blisters or sores
- Any foot changes
In order to prevent major foot problems, taking action when these signs present is necessary. Foot care specialists include Foot Care Nurses, Chiropodist (or Podiatrists). One of the common issues is not finding affordable foot care options in the Toronto Area. Below are resources in the community for the homeless or vulnerably housed to help you take a step forward.
- Anishnawbe Health Centre (for the Aboriginal community), (416) 360-0486
- Rexdale Community Health Centre, (416) 744-0066
- Central Toronto Community Health Centre (416) 703-8480
References and more information